CGSA AWARD PROGRAMS
The CGSA uses a variety of award programs in order to recognize the achievements of its members in the conduct of their duties as professional golf course managers. The award programs noted below are one of the ways in which the association profiles the work of the golf course professionals. Several of these award programs are sponsored in whole or in part by industry partners and for this we are very appreciative. The support of these companies allows us to provide a tangible component to the recognition these individuals receive as award recipients.
2020 AWARD DEADLINE DATES
NOMINATE OR APPLY FOR ONE OF THESE CGSA AWARDS
September 30, 2020 DEADLINE DATE
2020 CGSA/BAYER SUPERINTENDENT OF THE YEAR AWARD
This is one of CGSA’s most prestigious award. The title is awarded to a superintendent who has been nominated by a Provincial Golf Superintendent Association or a CGSA member as a knowledgeable and competent member of the profession and who has been distinguished in the practice of golf course management. The winner of this award is chosen by an anonymous committee of peers.
For a copy of the criteria and nomination form, please click HERE
This award is sponsored by Bayer
NOVEMBER 30, 2020 DEADLINE DATE
JOHN B. STEEL AWARD
This award is presented to an individual chosen by the CGSA Board of Directors who has made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the profession of Golf Course Superintendent. The nomination is open to anyone in the golf industry and should be someone who is known in the general golf community. The person does not have to be a current member of the CGSA.
An individual may be nominated by the Board of Directors of CGSA, by a CGSA Superintendent” member or by a Regional Association.
For a copy of the criteria and nomination form, please click here
CGSA/RAIN BIRD ENVIRONMENTAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
The CGSA/Rain Bird Environmental Achievement Award is awarded annually to the superintendent whose submission is judged to be the best example of an activity, project or management approach that improves the sustainability of the golf facility. Consideration will be given to initiatives that demonstrate the potential for ongoing benefit and application to other facilities, as well as to measurable results.
The applicant must be a Superintendent or Golf Course Management member of the CGSA.
For a copy of the criteria and application form, please click here
This award is sponsored by Rain Bird
CGSA/TORO ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT OF THE YEAR AWARD
The CGSA/Toro Assistant Superintendent of the Year Award recognizes the specific achievements of a golf course assistant superintendent whose performance and contributions to the success of the facility go beyond those that would normally be expected. The award is to be presented to an individual who has contributed to his or her golf facility in a significant way and who has demonstrated professionalism, leadership, innovation and a team approach in their work.
For a copy of the criteria and the nomination form,please click here
This award is sponsored by The Toro Company
CGSA/FOLEY COMPANY EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN OF THE YEAR AWARD
Know an outstanding Equipment Technician that should be recognized? As a CGSA member, you can nominate a fellow Equipment Technician member today (Nominations must be made by two CGSA members – any category).
Th CGSA/FOLEY COMPANY Equipment Technician of the Year Award recognizes the specific achievements of a golf course equipment technician whose performance and contributions to the success of the facility go beyond those that would normally be expected.
For a copy of the criteria and nomination form,please click here
This award is sponsored by The Foley Company
GORDON WITTEVEEN AWARD
The Gordon Witteveen Award, sponsored by The Toro Company, is presented to the superintendent or assistant superintendent that publishes an article in GreenMaster magazine, the official publication of the CGSA, and whose article is judged as being the best of the year by a panel of peers. Authors must be a CGSA “Superintendent” or “Assistant Superintendent” member. Articles are accepted for publication in GreenMaster up to and including the Winter issue and must be original articles not previously published. The recipient of this award receives a $500 monetary award from Toro, an All Access conference registration, up to $500 travel reimbursement and is presented with a plaque at The Canadian Golf Course Management Conference awards ceremony.
This award is sponsored by The Toro Company
CGSA STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
The CGSA Scholars Fund supports "Student" members attending educational programs as a means of enhancing their knowledge and skills for the turfgrass profession as well as becoming better qualified for their current or future employment.
All CGSA student members who are currently enrolled in at least the second year of a recognized turfgrass program of two (2) years duration (or longer) or are enrolled in a one year mechanic course are eligible to apply. Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen and have a minimum of one season as an employee on a Golf Course.
If you have a student working at your course who is not currently a member, please pass this information onto them to consider.
For a copy of the criteria and application form,please click here.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FOLLOWING CGSA 2019 AWARD WINNERS:
cgsa president greg austin presenting david boyd with his award
- David Boyd, AGS Emeritus recently retired Superintendent of Heritage Pointe Golf Club in Calgary, Alberta as the CGSA John B. Steel Distinguished Service Award recipient for 2019. To read the News Release, please click here.
Tim Steen from Bayer presenting James Beebe with his plaque
- James Beebe, Golf Course Manager at Priddis Greens Golf & Country Club in Priddis Greens, Alberta is the 2019 CGSA/Bayer Superintendent of the Year Award winner - Sponsored by Bayer. To read the News Release, please click here.
Josh Tubbs from Toro presenting Graeme Douglas with his plaque
- Graeme Douglas, Manager, Golf and Hotel Facilities at St. Eugene Golf & Casino Resort in Cranbrook, British Columbia is the 2019 Gordon Witteveen Award winner - Sponsored by Toro. To read the News Release, please click here.
serge gauthier from rain bird presenting Reid solodan with his plaque
- Reid Solodan, AGS, Superintendent at Canmore Golf & Curling Club in Canmore, Alberta is the 2019 CGSA/Rain Bird Environmental Achievement Award winner - Sponsored by Rain Bird. To read the News Release, please click here.
Josh Tubbs from toro presenting ben white with his plaque
- Ben White, Assistant Superintendent at Markland Wood Golf Club in Etobicoke, Ontario is the 2019 CGSA/Toro Assistant Superintendent of the Year Award winner - Sponsored by Toro. To read the News Release, please click here.
Paul rauker from foley company presenting ron Allen with his plaque
- Ron White, Equipment Technician at Muskoka Lakes Golf & Country Club in Port Carling, Ontario is the 2019 CGSA/Foley Company Equipment Technician of the Year Award winner - Sponsored by Foley Company. To read the News Release, please click here.
2019 CGSA Scholarship Winners were announced in Ottawa on Monday, March 2nd, they are:
- Connor Hamilton - University of Guelph receive a $1,500 scholarship; and
- Kyle Hand - University of Guelph receive a $1,000 scholarship.
The CGSA Board of Directors also approved that Connor and Kyle's 2020-2021 Membership Dues will be covered by CGSA.
Thank you to all our 2019 Award Sponsors